Opened 7 months ago
Closed 6 months ago
New point version
As ken noted here originally:
Security Bulletin VLC 3.0.12
Summary : Multiple vulnerabilities fixed in VLC media player
Date : December 2020
Affected versions : VLC media player 3.0.11 and earlier
ID : VideoLAN-SB-VLC-3012
A remote user could create a specifically crafted file that could trigger some various issues, notably 2 read buffer overflows, and some invalid pointers being dereferenced.
If successful, a malicious third party could trigger either a crash of VLC or an arbitratry code execution with the privileges of the target user.
While these issues in themselves are most likely to just crash the player, we can't exclude that they could be combined to leak user informations or remotely execute code. ASLR and DEP help reduce the likelyness of code execution, but may be bypassed.
We have not seen exploits performing code execution through these vulnerability
Exploitation of those issues requires the user to explicitly open a specially crafted file or stream.
The user should refrain from opening files from untrusted third parties or accessing untrusted remote sites (or disable the VLC browser plugins), until the patch is applied.
VLC media player 3.0.12 addresses the issue.
All but one of the issues fixed in this version have been reported by Zhen Zhou, NSFOCUS Security Team
The VideoLAN project
VLC official GIT repository
And the actual changelog:
Changes between 3.0.12 and 18.104.22.168:
* 22.214.171.124 is the first release for Apple Silicon macs
* Version bump to allow an automatic upgrade path
Changes between 126.96.36.199 and 3.0.12:
* Add new RIST access module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1)
* Add new RIST access output module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1)
* Fixed adaptive's handling of resolution settings
* Improve Bluray tracks support
* Improve WMV seeking and DASH support
* Fix crashes in AVI, MKV modules
* Fix audio distortion on macOS during start of playback
* Direct3D11: Fix some potential crashes when using video filters
* Add native support for Apple Silicon / ARM-64
* Visual UI adaptations for macOS Big Sur
* Fix displaying EQ bands in the UI depending on which frequency
presets are set for the EQ in advanced preferences
* Fix UI issues in bookmarks window
* Several fixes in the web interface, including privacy and security
* Update YouTube and Vocaroo scripts
* Fix rotation filter mouse handling
* Update translations
Fixed at r24154
Powered by Trac 1.5.3.dev0
By Edgewall Software
© 1998-2021 Gerard Beekmans.