Opened 9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

Last modified 8 years ago

#3718 closed enhancement (fixed)

Pulseaudio 3.0

Reported by: rt Owned by: blfs-book@…
Priority: normal Milestone:
Component: BOOK Version: SVN
Severity: normal Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Change History (8)

comment:1 by rt, 9 years ago

Breaks pulse output for mplayer, vlc and the pulse alsa plugin on my system.

comment:2 by Armin K, 9 years ago

I can't confirm any of these.

VLC works just fine with "Pulseaudio" selected in audio preferences. It even builds flawlessly against pulseaudio 3.0

Mplayer also does fine with -ao pulse.

==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [mpg123] MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 320.0 kbit/22.68% (ratio: 40000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mpg123] afm: mpg123 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III)
==========================================================================
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:  10.3 (10.2) of 276.0 (04:36.0)  0.7% 

I have .asoundrc that redirects alsa output through pulse and it doesn't pose me any problem. Even system sounds in KDE work.

$ cat ~/.asoundrc
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

I've built it (upgraded from 2.1) today using same instructions as in BLFS book.

Even multilib version works with Skype and Wine using Pulseaudio via 32bit Alsa Plugins.

comment:3 by rt, 9 years ago

Hmm, strange. I have the same asoundrc file as you. When I run alsamixer I get:

ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
cannot open mixer: Connection refused

When I run mplayer with pulse output:

...
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
...

And VLC:

Audio output failed:
The audio device "pulse" could not be used:
Connection refused.

Same with mpg123.

I get sound in KDE/phonon, but not the full PA capabilities. Seems like it is using alsa. I tried deleting the .pulse and .config/pulse folders and re-installing PA, but didn't help. I don't understand cause it worked fine with PA 2.1. Maybe the problem is specific for my card (Intel HD audio, Realtek ALC269VB codec). What card do you have?

I noticed the following in the logs (repeated several times):

Dec 18 22:23:28 mephisto pulseaudio[2666]: [pulseaudio] socket-server.c: bind(): Address already in use
Dec 18 22:23:28 mephisto pulseaudio[2666]: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-esound-protocol-u
Dec 18 22:23:28 mephisto pulseaudio[2666]: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
Dec 18 22:23:28 mephisto pulseaudio[2666]: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
Dec 18 22:23:28 mephisto pulseaudio[2663]: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

Any ideas?

comment:4 by Armin K, 9 years ago

Connection refused means that daemon is not running. And your logs say that daemon failed to start.

You can try commenting out module-esound-protocol-unix in /etc/pulse/default.pa and see if it would change anything. I didn't had any problems with that.

As for my sound card, lspci says it is 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05) and I think that it is an IDT codec (not sure about correct model).

comment:5 by rt, 9 years ago

Commenting out module-esound-protocol-unix fixes the previous error. Now, I get another error:

Dec 19 21:15:06 mephisto pulseaudio[2412]: [pulseaudio] main.c: D-Bus name org.PulseAudio1 already taken.
Dec 19 21:15:06 mephisto pulseaudio[2409]: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

This error is repeated several times...

comment:6 by Armin K, 9 years ago

I've somehow missed the mail with your reply.

Anyways, it looks like there are some leftovers from old installation (2.1).

I always do clean upgrades - remove everything that old package installed and install new one afterwards (I have my methods for that - no package manager).

You can try building 2.1 and 3.0, install them with DESTDIR method and compare what do you have in 2.1 that isn't available in 3.0 version and remove such files.

comment:7 by Armin K, 9 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

Fixed in r10922

comment:8 by bdubbs@…, 8 years ago

Milestone: current

Milestone current deleted

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.