Opened 6 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

#6610 closed enhancement (fixed)

biblatex-biber-2.1

Reported by: ken@… Owned by: ken@…
Priority: normal Milestone: 7.8
Component: BOOK Version: SVN
Severity: normal Keywords:
Cc:

Description

I got a mail to say that the biblatex-biber source has now been released as a sf tarball, "Source is back now as it's required by TeXLive."

Looking at what I tarred up from git, a lot of files are not present (particularly dist/ stuff for preparing the TL binaries), and one or two other minor changes - the space for the extracted files will probably go down as a result of that.

On the plus side we can revert to pointing to sf, on the negative side we will be back to an unversioned tarball although as before it extracts to a versioned directory, this time biblatex-biber-2.1.

I'll test this with TL2015 from source.

Change History (6)

comment:1 by ken@…, 6 years ago

Status: newassigned

It works with my tests, but I see from the log that it warned Unicode::Normalize is too new - I have 1.18, it wants <= 1.17. That comes from the core perl distributiuon.

comment:2 by ken@…, 6 years ago

It seems to be a speed issue, see [ https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=102766] and 1.17 appears to have been removed from CPAN.

comment:3 by ken@…, 6 years ago

I found where BackPAN is -http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/SA/SADAHIRO/Unicode-Normalize-1.17.tar.gz

When running the biblatex-biber tests (which have failures, not yet investigated - perhaps 2.1a also did, I had forgotten my script allowed these tests to fail) the speed difference is significant. On my own test documents, with small bibliographies, the difference is tiny - I'll add a note, pointing to 1.17 and saying it speeds up the package's own tests and processing large documents.

in reply to:  3 comment:4 by ken@…, 6 years ago

Replying to ken@…:

When running the biblatex-biber tests (which have failures, not yet investigated - perhaps 2.1a also did, I had forgotten my script allowed these tests to fail)

I've just checked - with my 2.1a with perl-5.20.2, all the tests passed and I did not get the vast number of 'wide character' messages I now see. My 2.1a and the released 2.1 appear to have identical test failures with 5.22.0 so I'll blame the changes in that version.

comment:5 by ken@…, 6 years ago

I got a mail from plk - he's fixed the perl-5.22 changes in the development branch (2.2) so I'll take a look at that.

Last edited 6 years ago by ken@… (previous) (diff)

comment:6 by ken@…, 6 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Fixed at r16195. Given my history with biber, I'd better add "E&OE" (Errors and Omissions Excepted).

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.