|Reported by:||Anton Maisak||Owned by:||lfs-book|
Description (last modified by )
- Changes to Readline
- Added a guard to prevent nested macros from causing an infinite expansion loop.
- Instead of allocating enough history list entries to hold the maximum list size, cap the number allocated initially.
- Added a strategy to avoid allocating huge amounts of memory if a block of history entries without timestamps occurs after a block with timestamps.
- Added support for keyboard timeouts when an ESC character is the last character in a macro.
- There are several performance improvements when in a UTF-8 locale.
- Readline does a better job of preserving the original set of blocked signals when using pselect() to wait for input.
- Fixed a bug that caused multibyte characters in macros to be mishandled.
- Fixed several bugs in the code that calculates line breaks when expanding prompts that span several lines, contain multibyte characters, and contain invisible character seqeuences.
- Fixed several bugs in cursor positioning when displaying lines with prompts containing invisible characters and multibyte characters.
- When performing case-insensitive completion, Readline no longer sorts the list of matches unless directed to do so.
- Fixed a problem with key sequences ending with a backslash.
- Fixed out-of-bounds and free memory read errors found via fuzzing.
- Fixed several cases where the mark was set to an invalid value.
- Fixed a problem with the case-changing operators in the case where the lower and upper case versions of a character do not have the same number of bytes.
- Handle incremental and non-incremental search character reads returning EOF.
- Handle the case where a failing readline command at the end of a multi-key sequence could be misinterpreted.
- The history library now prints a meaningful error message if the history file isn't a regular file.
- Fixed a problem with vi-mode redo (`.') on a command when trying to replace a multibyte character.
- The key binding code now attempts to remove a keymap if a key unbinding leaves it empty.
- Fixed a line-wrapping issue that caused problems for some terminal emulators.
- If there is a key bound to the tty's VDISCARD special character, readline disables VDISCARD while it is active.
- Fixed a problem with exiting bracketed paste mode on terminals that assume the bracketed paste mode character sequence contains visible characters.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a key binding command to refer to an uninitialized variable.
- Added more UTF-8-specific versions of multibyte functions, and optimized existing functions if the current locale uses UTF-8 encoding.
- Fixed a problem with bracketed-paste inserting more than one character and interacting with other readline functions.
- Fixed a bug that caused the history library to attempt to append a history line to a non-existent history entry.
aa. If using bracketed paste mode, output a newline after the \r that is the
last character of the mode disable string to avoid overwriting output.
bb. Fixes to the vi-mode
e', and E' commands to better
handle multibyte characters.
cc. Fixed a redisplay problem that caused an extra newline to be generated on
accept-line when the line length is exactly the screenwidth.
dd. Fixed a bug with adding multibyte characters to an incremental search
ee. Fixed a bug with redoing text insertions in vi mode.
ff. Fixed a bug with pasting text into an incremental search string if bracketed
paste mode is enabled. ESC cannot be one of the incremental search terminator characters for this to work.
gg. Fixed a bug with anchored search patterns when performing searches in vi
- New Features in Readline
- Non-incremental vi-mode search (
N',n') can search for a shell pattern, as Posix specifies (uses fnmatch(3) if available).
- There are new
next-screen-line' andprevious-screen-line' bindable commands, which move the cursor to the same column in the next, or previous, physical line, respectively.
- There are default key bindings for control-arrow-key key combinations.
- A negative argument (-N) to `quoted-insert' means to insert the next N characters using quoted-insert.
- New public function: rl_check_signals(), which allows applications to respond to signals that readline catches while waiting for input using a custom read function.
- There is new support for conditionally testing the readline version in an inputrc file, with a full set of arithmetic comparison operators available.
- There is a simple variable comparison facility available for use within an
inputrc file. Allowable operators are equality and inequality; string
variables may be compared to a value; boolean variables must be compared to
on' oroff'; variable names are separated from the operator by whitespace.
- The history expansion library now understands command and process substitution and extended globbing and allows them to appear anywhere in a word.
- The history library has a new variable that allows applications to set the initial quoting state, so quoting state can be inherited from a previous line.
- Readline now allows application-defined keymap names; there is a new public function, rl_set_keymap_name(), to do that.
- The "Insert" keypad key, if available, now puts readline into overwrite mode.